Sunday, July 3, 2011

Day 42: WTF is going on around here?

Uh, so I just found out that the state of Minnesota basically shut down? How the heck is that possible? I mean, really? Is there a point at which they will reopen? How does a state close?  I don't get it, and I think it's actually pretty scary. Are they going to start taking volunteers soon?
And I heard Connecticut is next?
I don't know, people, this is not sounding like something we should just be shrugging our shoulders and letting happen without any reaction... Did I miss the reaction?
I feel like I'm asking if I missed the revolution.
A revolution would be really, really hard to miss because revolutions CHANGE things. Oh, but Minnesota, the STATE, being closed is a pretty big change. So who's running the revolution? And what, exactly, is their end goal? And why do states need to shut down because of it?
I am freaking out, in case you can't tell.
The worst part about all of this... in my opinion... is that I don't know about it, but I've seen so much of the damned Casey Anthony trial (though I don't know anything because I wasn't paying attention) because the news networks are showing it non stop! Why is THAT so compelling anyway? She's just some random citizen who may or may not have killed her own child, which pretty much (sadly) happens at least once a month, I'm sure. What's so special about THIS case? And why was there a dowsing rod expert? Is this THE trial of the century? Already in 2011? Is this particular trial going to change the way our society lives in ANY WAY?
Then WHY the fuck are we WATCHING IT!?!?!
Okay, so, now I'm freaked out AND a little angry.
I think it's time for a nap.
Or maybe some Shelly Duvall's Faerie Tale Theater (yeah, it's awesome) from Hulu.
Yeah, that will help my destress.

4 comments:

  1. Yeah, we've had more than enough of the Casey Anthony Trial, too.
    And states shutting down - yeah, crazy and scary. No idea when that'll settle out.
    Although, remember when we were at Southwest Eye? Sometimes, usually about this time of year, because their fiscal year started in June or July, certain agencies couldn't approve to pay for some patients' surgeries because they "ran out of money." But it wasn't a big, sudden, dramatic, one-day-wake-up-and-nobody's-got-a-job kind of deal. They saw it coming, had time to warn people. And it was usually just a particular agency - they'd spent their allotment for client medical care for the year. Stay in line for the next fiscal year. The Indian Hospital usually ran out about a month after their fiscal year started. I really felt for those folks. Might still be that way, but I'm not in that biz any more, so I don't know.
    I guess, with all my rambling, what I mean to say is that I'm a little surprised at the SUDDENNESS of it. Didn't anyone SEE this COMING? I mean, barring utter, chaotic disaster, I can usually see lean times when they appear on my horizon. I'm constantly looking ahead and making some kind of preparation. What the bless-me happened in Minnesota, for crying out loud, that it ran up on them like that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Television does have one socially redeeming quality. There, hidden among buttons for volume, brightness, contrast, and channel selection is an OFF SWITCH. Try it sometime. Then go work in the garden or make plans to start setting food by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure why the comment about television, but we don't really watch television in our house. I do watch a little Hulu here and there, but even that is rare.
    I couldn't even tell you the last time the television has been ON in our house, but I know it's been over 3 months.
    I derived my opinion after a drive home with the thought that "Minnesota shut down like 3 days ago" as I was told by a friend of mine on the street (actually more like on the sidewalk), NOT from the television.
    There are still people out here in the world who don't require mass marketing or media to tell them what to think.
    Gardening is an awesome alternative to television, you are absolutely right.

    ReplyDelete