Thursday, May 3, 2012

Day 386 : Simplification isn't that easy

I've noticed in the last few months I walk around feeling my pockets. For several reasons. Sometimes it's because I have no idea what I'm doing and I think that if I check my pockets I'll find some clues as to where I'm going or what I'm doing that day. Sometimes it's because I feel like I'm missing something and even though I don't know what it is I think I might find it in my pocket.
I never do.
Honestly I think it's because I don't know what the hell it is I think I might be missing.

I think all this pocket fondling is due to over complication of life. Life is already complicated, but those of you who know me well know that I just never stop. I sign myself up for everything. I went from having 3 jobs to having a family and I have no idea how to make the transition. The transition just sort of happened and I've been walking around just trying to do all the stuff you have to do when your life changes from busy single crazy female to mom extraordinaire grasping at straws to feel fulfilled outside of motherhood.

What I've found is that signing up for everything that I care about or that I want to help with only leaves me feeling overwhelmed, over complicated and constantly confused.

Great.

Oh, and I'm also not fulfilling many of my actual goals, goals I set for myself before any of this other outside shit presented itself.

So now I'm trying to simplify.

And it makes me feel guilty. But I felt guilty anyway. I just can't ever seem to do enough. It's never enough.

But I really dislike the disorientation and the feeling around of the pockets thing just makes me feel like a weirdo. Seriously.

So now I'm removing a lot of things from my home, I'm not saying yes to everything, and I'm trying to just have a little fun here and there. I will say, though, that simplifying your life is really really really hard. And complicated. But I totally recommend it.


Cheers to you, and your over complicated and lovely life.


Link of the day: Just hoping something enriches your life without adding any clutter:
http://maurastephens.blogspot.com/2012/01/american-lung-association-in-bed-with.html

2 comments:

  1. Love this. I check my pockets, too. Other than that, I won't "should" on you except to say that Mothering is a big enough job. I'm glad you're refocusing.
    So much love,
    Mombo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Mom! LOVE LOVE LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete